Monday, February 9, 2009

2009 Riding Log (starting Feb 6)



Highlights:
February 15: Larrys first ascent of Sugarloaf










30-MayRoad41.75 MilesRode up from the start of Skyline drive at Front Royal, Virginia to Skyland. This was the most vertical I have ever done in a ride and the amount of vertical per mile was about double what I have ever done before. This explains why it seemed like I was doing nothing but climbing. It was a very good tune-up for the Tahoe century I am doing on June 7th and my performance made me feel better about doing the entire length of Skyline drive later this year. It also made for a great weekend for my wife and I as we did some sight-seeing and hiking in Shenandoah National Park the next day after having a relaxing evening at Skyland.
Stats and Map: 20090530 Ride




27-MayRoad24.31 MilesHappy to have averaged 17 mph for this distance and amount of climb. This is my last training ride in Maryland on the Scattante road bike before the Tahoe century as it is being taken in to the shop to be shipped in the morning. My last couple of local training rides will be on my trusty old Giant road bike and my Diamondback hybrid.
Stats and Map: 20090527 Ride




26-MayLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes level 20 random profile followed by 30 minutes hill profile at level 16. I was using the LifeCycle that I had discovered to be more difficult than the ones I had been using and it lived up to my memory




23-MayRoad71.35 MilesLong country route preparing me for the century at Lake Tahoe in two weeks. I took my first spill on the bike as I was distracted by a very large piece of farm equipment coming down the road and got my front wheel just off the road enough to take a hard fall. I came out okay, but the bike got a few deep scratches on the wheel releases and pedals.
Stats and Map: 20090523 Ride




21-MayRoad32.97 MilesRode through Kent County on Maryland's Eastern Shore from our B&B near Chestertown to Betterton and back. The ride to Betterton was quick, but it was work coming back. I hope it was just the breeze in my face as I was expecting a faster average time on this fairly flat route.
Stats and Map: 20090521 Ride




18-MayRoad20.05 MilesMorning ride before departing on a mini-vacation. My legs just didn't have it. It seems I needed some time to recover after the fast ride late on the previous day.
Stats and Map: 20090519 Ride




18-MayRoad19.04 MilesFast ride to Boyds and back. Over the last month my speed seems to have gone up by over one mile an hour on rides of this length. I can aggressively climb hills like Black Rock Road which used to be survival tests.
Stats and Map: 20090518 Ride




16-MayRoad63.28 MilesFirst metric century ride from my house!
Stats and Map: 20090516 Ride




14-MayRoad13.04 MilesIt looked like we had thunderstorms moving into the area so I did my old short neighborhood ride. This is just over 13 miles with a little more than 700 feet of climbing. My best time last summer for this route was a little over 51 minutes. Today I did the route in 44 minutes even.
Stats and Map: 20090514 Ride




12-MayRoad20.7 MilesWhat a beautiful afternoon it was for a ride.
Stats and Map: 20090512 Ride




10-MayRoad38 MilesI got up early and rode as I had things to do from mid-morning on. I still got in a decent ride on what was a beautiful morning.
Stats and Map: 20090510 Ride




09-MayRoad54.8 MilesGood way to start the weekend ride. Larry rode with me and unfortunately cramped up at the end.
Stats and Map: 20090509 Ride




07-MayRoad17.11 MilesShort after work ride. Lucky the days are getting long since I didn't get home until almost 7 pm and I still had enough time to do a one hour ride. The ride was good as I set my fastest speed ever for a neighborhood ride.
Stats and Map: 20090507 Ride




05-MayLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes hill profile at level 18 followed by 30 minutes random profile at level 16. I used the tougher LifeCycle that I discovered the day before and it turned what should have been a mainly aerobic workout into something a little tougher




04-MayLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes random profile at level 20 followed by 30 minutes hill profile at level 18. Reality returned. I used a different LifeCycle than the one I have been using and found out they are not all the same. This one had me in Zone 3 for the last 1/3 or the first 30 minutes and a majority of the second 30 minutes.




02-MayRoad50.41 MilesRode to Poolesville and then on to the top of Sugarloaf and then back home. Set a new personal record for climbing Sugarloaf, doing the near 500 foot vertical climb in 11 minutes. It was a good long training ride. In Poolesville I stopped at Bob's Bikes and Bob appears to have cured my shifting problems.
Stats and Map: 20090502 Ride




01-MayRoad22.38 MilesRode to Boyds and back via 28, Black Rock Road, Schaeffer Rd, 117, Richter Farm Rd. and then back down Black Rock to 28 with a little side trip through Spring Valley. I was pleased with my hill climbing on Black Rock. The hills are not near the ordeal they used to be.
Stats and Map: 20090501 Ride




29-AprLifeCycle1 hours30 minutes random profile at level 20 followed by 30 minutes random profile at level 18. I was pleased that my heart rate peaked at only 144 during the first 30 minutes at level 20. This is indicative of my being in the best riding shape ever!




27-AprRoad18.8 MilesShort late afternoon ride. I was pleased that I was able to attack the neighborhood hills standing on the pedals and going at the fastest speeds I have ever done them. My legs really bounced back well from the metric century I rode two days earlier.
Stats and Map: 20090427 Ride




25-AprEvent64.9 milesTour De Carroll

This was a an organized metric century. The ride is described in a another posting on this blog.

The Garmin stats for the are a little off since once again I screwed up with the buttons at the end of the ride and left it on. At the time I finished I was at an average speed of 15.6 mph which is a little less than what I really did since I also had the Garmin on during a part of one of the rest stops. I was pleased considering it turned into a very warm day and some of the hills were tough, up to 15% grades. My next tune-up may be the Bloomin Metric in mid-May.
Stats and Map: 20090425 Ride




22-AprRoad21 MilesGiven that I am doing the Carrol County metric century this Saturday, I probably should have taken this week off, but rode because last week I missed some riding due to my birthday. I was pleased with the pace and the legs felt good. I should have a great ride in metric century.
Stats and Map: 20090422 Ride




20-AprLifeCycle1.5 hours30 minutes random profile at level 18 followed by 30 minutes hill profile at level 17 followed by 30 minutes of random profile at level 16. Toned the levels back a little as I want to keep something in the bag for the Carrol County metric century I am riding on Saturday




18-AprMTB21 MilesEasy trail riding in the area around Black Water Falls, West Virginia. New tires with the right tread gave me a new appreciation for this type of recreational riding. The scenery was gorgeous as we rode along the top of a narrow valley and the weather was perfect. A climb to the top of a fire tower gave a tremendous vista across that part of West Virginia.
Stats and Map: 20090418 Ride




17-AprRoad21 MilesNot much riding this week due to being on a mini-vacation to celebrate my 50th birthday. I rode the hybrid around Canaan Valley, WV. Part of this ride was up to the top of the resort at Timberline, an 826 foot ascent on gravel roads. It was very steep near the top and the smooth tread on the hybrid was not as grippy as I would like. The distance on the Garmin site and what I state in this posting differ as I accidently switched off the Garmin when showing it to my friend about three miles from returning to base.
Stats and Map: 20090417 Ride




13-AprRoad27.02 MilesPartial makeup ride since I missed riding on Sunday. I was pleased with the average speed for this route as it looks like a good jump up in performance.
Stats and Map: 20090413 Ride




11-AprRoad41.31 MilesRainy Saturday morning and early afternoon led to a late start. I still got in a decent ride and had time to stop and take a few photos of the early spring scenery.
Stats and Map: 20090411 Ride




9-AprRoad25.52 MilesStarted the long weekend with a beautiful late afternoon ride in perfect conditions. I felt strong and my average speed reflects that.
Stats and Map: 20090409 Ride




08-AprLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes hill profile at level 20 followed by 30 minutes hill profile at level 16. Used a different Lifecycle than the one I normally used and it seemed much tougher




06-AprLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes random profile at level 20 followed by 30 minutes random profile at level 18.




4-AprRoad41.38 MilesAnother long windy ride. This one was a country route. It was my first ride on the Scattante after its spring tune-up. I was very disappointed in the tune-up as shifting is much worse than before the tune-up. Most annoying is that the chain comes off the cogs when downshifting from the big ring to the middle ring. Looks like it will be back in the shop shortly.
Stats and Map: 20090404 Ride




3-AprRoad22.73 MilesHad to deal with a lot of wind on this late afternoon ride. I also think my Garmins distance measurement was off since it was not mounted, instead riding in the back pouch of my jersey. Due to my not turning off the Garmin correctly on my previous ride, the link below has both this ride and the ride I did on Tuesday, March 31st.
Stats and Map: 20090403 Ride




31-MarRoad20.85 MilesFirst ride after rest week. Had a strong ride even though I was riding the 26 year old steel frame Giant with the big tires. Due to my not turning off the Garmin correctly, the link below has both this ride and the ride I did on Friday, April 3rd.
Stats and Map: 20090331 Ride




23-Mar to 30-MarRest0 milesRecovery week. I take one every five to eight weeks




22-MarRoad19.9 MilesRode with my old friend Steve Murphy. He used to be a CAT 2 racer back in the day. Lack of training meant that we did a shorter route, but I did get some good coaching from him and a quick fix to some problems with my backup bicycle. My primary bike is at Bob's Bikes in Poolesville getting a tune-up. I am missing it as equipment does make a difference.
Stats and Map: 20090322 Ride




21-MarRoad44.1 MilesFinally things worked out so that I could do a Sugarloaf ride from my house. Larry joined me, riding from his house to mine, so I had to add on four miles at the end by doing the round-trip to/from his house. I couldn't let him do more miles than me could I? I did this ride on my hybrid since I had a broken spoke on my Scattante road bike. The hybrid sure makes it a lot more work.
Stats and Map: 20090321 Ride




19-MarRoad25.1 MilesLeft work early enough to get in a nice ride considering it was a weekday.
Stats and Map: 20090319 Ride




17-MarRoad17.1 MilesRushed home a little after leaving work a little later than I wanted to. I still got in a 1 hour ride at a very brisk pace.
Stats and Map: 20090317 Ride




15-MarLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes random profile at level 18 followed by 30 minutes random profile at level 16. Rainy Sunday had me training indoors. Rode at a lower load level to give my legs a bit of a break.




14-MarLifeCycle30 Minutes30 minutes random profile at level 20. Rode indoors because of rain and the ride was short due to too much going on. I don't want to fall into the habit of short rides.




12-MarLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes random profile at level 20 followed by 30 minutes random profile at level 18. This was my first time doing the random profile at level 20. The total one hour calorie burn of 823 smashed my previous LifeCycle record.




10-MarRoad18.6 MilesFirst after work road ride of 2009. I am really glad to see daylight savings time come early. I did a suburban route and was pleased to see a noticeable improvement in hill climbing versus in the fall.
Stats and Map: 20090310 Ride




08-MarRoad39.6 MilesRode with Larry out River Road and eventually looping back through Poolesville where we stopped at Bob's Bikes. I always like to stop there as Bob has a great little shop and is fun to talk to. We then finished up by cutting over to Peach Tree then the usual route home from there.
Stats and Map: 20090308 Ride




07-MarRoad39.25 MilesFirst time out with Hitch. We planned on doing a loop to the top of Sugarloaf and back. Unfortunately John's derailleur broke about 3 miles in, so I did the Poolesville loop due to time constraints after ferrying John back to his car. This may actually work out well for John as I can see a new bike in his future.
Stats and Map: 20090307 Ride




05-MarLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes hill profile at level 20 followed by 30 minutes hill profile at level 18. This was my first time riding at level 20, the highest level available on the LifeCycles at my gym.




03-MarLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes random profile at level 19 followed by 30 minutes random profile at level 18. Bumped my highest total calorie burn for a one hour LifeCycle ride up to 780 calories




01-MarLifeCycle1.5 hours30 minutes random profile at level 17 followed by 30 minutes hill profile at level 17 followed by 30 minutes random profile at level 15. Weather was supposed to be snow and ice so I did the LifeCycle. It turned out I could have done a road ride. Next weekend!




28-FebRoad41.86 MilesExtended version of the ride from previous Saturday. Legs felt strong as is reflected in the average speed. The autostart/stop on the Garmin worked well now that I have it set up correctly.
Stats and Map: 20090228 Ride




27-FebLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes hill profile at level 17 followed by 30 minutes hill profile at level 15. Kept this ride at aerobic burn level so that my legs would not be fried before the longer weekend rides.




26-FebLifeCycle1 hour30 minutes random profile at level 19 followed by 30 minutes random profile at level 17. I had my highest total calorie burn to date for a one hour LifeCycle ride, 763 calories




22-FebRoad32.6 MilesRode with group from work from Germantown Soccerplex up Sugarloaf Mountain and back. Distance here is more than in stats to account for my having the Garmin off during the descent of Sugarloaf. That didn't help the average speed either. I wish Garmin would make a firmware fix to allow the unit to automatically stop and start recording as the bike stops and starts. My $20 bike basic bike computer can do that, so why can't the $550 Garmin 705 do it?
Update: I found the setting that should have the Garmin auto-stop recording!
Stats and Map: 20090222 Ride




21-FebRoad36.33 MilesIndividual ride. Explored the far paved part of River Road and found it has some rollers with grades as high as 15%. Cut the ride a little short due to afternoon commitments.
Stats and Map: 20090221 Ride




20-FebLifeCycle50 minutesOne 30 minute sessions of hill profile, level 17 followed by a 20 minutes random profile session, level 15. This was a recovery ride where I did not go anaerobic. I wanted to keep my legs fresh for the longer rides I am hoping to do on Saturday and Sunday.




19-FebLifeCycle1 HourOne 30 minute sessions of Random profile, level 19 followed by a 30 minute hill profile session, level 15. On the first session I rode a lifecycle that was not as smooth as the one I normally ride. I hope this accounted for my heart rate being higher than expected during the first session.




15-FebRoad31.19 MilesRode with Larry from Germantown Soccerplex up Sugarloaf Mountain and back. Larry rode up for the first time.
Stats and Map: 20090215 Ride




14-FebRoad32.67 milesTraining ride through local neighborhood. Almost got clobbered by someone backing out of a driveway. Pay attention. They don't.
Stats and Map: 20090214 Ride





12-FebLifeCycle1 HourZone two ride to let my legs recover from the abuse I put them through on the last three preceding rides. Two 30 minute sessions of Random profile, level 15.




10-FebRoad14.6 milesLunch ride with co-workers. I had lead for most of the ride since it was my route. I set a near max pace for myself. The group kept up with Forrest appearing to not break a sweat




9-FebLifeCycle1 Hour30 minutes level 19 (out of 20) hill profile followed by 30 minutes level 17 random profile.




6-FebRoad42.89 milesHome to top of Sugarloaf Mountain and back. Rode wth Larry and Forrest.
Stats and Map: 20090206 Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment